Tuesday, October 26, 2010

GOLD COAST BLAZE



I am not particularly into sport, although I love to play it... watching it bores me to death! But, if you know me at all, you know basketball is my thing! I will watch it and play it until the cows come home. I have a folder full of certificates and medals from my basketball days. It was basically the only thing at school that I was good at and I put effort into because I loved it so much. The personal thrill I get from even holding a basketball is incredible let alone playing a game. When Scott Belzner, official photographer for the Blaze, asked if I would like to come along to meet some of the players from the Blaze at their team photo shoot with their sparkling new uniforms I had to compose myself before I said... YES! 
 So for those of you who don't know much about the Blaze here is a bit of background- 
Plans for a Gold Coast basketball team moved into action in 2003/04 which lead the NBL board to officially accept the bid in November 2006 to enable them to prepare for the 2007/08 season! In February 2007 the franchise announced they would compete under the name the 'Blaze'. The team is owned by local businessmen Owen Tomlinson and Tom Tate. The Blaze are really starting to make their way into the homes and hearts of Gold Coasters with their Rookie of the Year competition, Battle of the Schools program and the So You Think You Can Play promotion. They are also making their way onto the Gold Coast's social and fashion scene with their amazing season launch at Versace. 


Adam Gibson with Chantelle Raleigh at the Blaze's official launch at Palazzo Versace.

The Blaze have actually had a great start to the year. Losing their first game to the Wollongong Hawks was a little disheartening but hopeful as the boys only lost by 6 points, 83-77. But their game over the weekend is possibly the most talked about game so far this season. With 3000 people in the stands (impressive considering the Gold Coast 600 was on at the same time!) they were down 12 points, against the Townsville Crocs, with only 2:50 left on the clock they managed to muster every ounce of energy and skill to make the 12 points needed to level the scores 80-80 at full time which in turn led to extra-time and allowed the Blaze to keep up their point scoring spree and take the game! 94-90! An impressive and heart stopping game it was. 


I was so incredibly nervous driving to the shoots location... I have interviewed plenty of models, stylists and designers, but never any sportsmen! I was afraid that I was going to giggle like a little school girl the whole time (I get nervous around incredibly tall handsome men!). But I managed (I think) to put on my game face!
Here is a quick video of the shoot!




So after arriving and sticking my game face on I managed to take a few snaps and speak to some of the players! 

Stephen Hoare and James Maye


Pero Camron and Pero Vasiljevic


Adam Gibson and Shaun Gleeson


The two players I was able to spend the most time with, Adam Gibson and Chris Goulding, just happened to be from a place I call home, Tasmania! 


Chris in action and at the shoot.


Chris is originally from Launceston and he told me he has been playing basketball since he was only 7 years of age! He has been playing professionally for 4 years. He spent a year with the Brisbane Bullets before moving to Perth to play for the Wildcats for a year and is now in his second year with the Blaze! When I asked him, in true Fashion Blogger form, what his style was outside of the court he replied
'I like to keep it basic with plain T's and my favourite brands are probably G-Star and Nike'.
At only 22 years of age Chris is carving up the court and is tipped to be playing with the Boomers in no time.




Adam doing his thing on the green screen!


Another Launceston boy, Adam is also a big fan of keeping it simple and G-Star when it comes to fashion! He loves living on the Gold Coast and enjoys the beach (in the warmer weather!), shopping and Time Zone! Adam played for the Bullets for 3 years before going to the South Dragons for one year and is now also in his second year for the Blaze.
Adam is only 23 and won the NBL's best defensive player last year. His incredible talent will no doubt help us get to the finals and hopefully take home the championship!


As terribly nervous as I was everyone was so lovely and warm! The players that I met were all too happy to chat and share a joke in between shooting. The Blaze have definitely secured their place in my heart and I cannot wait to go watch them play and I wish them the best of luck for this season!






For more information on the Blaze check out their website 

To see more pictures go to Scott Belzner's amazing site

and to see some great footage visit their YouTube channel!

They are playing a home game this Friday night! To buy tickets go to

Stay fabulous!






No comments:

Post a Comment