Sunday, August 8, 2010

Model Profile: GRACE MAY

After going to so many fashion showcases you start to recognise models and even develop a kind of favouritism towards some. I, along with other people who did not know all that much about the fashion world, used to run with the stigma that models don't do much... all they do is walk along a runway in designer outfits. How hard can it be? Well I am here to tell you that not just anyone can be a model. You need to be able throw the appropriate emotion across the room as you strut with confidence in time to the music while making sure you are showing off the garments to their full capacity. This does take some smarts and skill. Some models walk down the runway and they don't tell a story like they should. They amble down without any confidence or posture and certainly have no emotion let alone remembering to show off the garment. I now really understand the difference between good models and the not so good. You need more than a pretty face. When models are used who are good at what they do.... a showcase tells a story and clothes come alive and sell themselves. It is such a pleasure to watch!
Grace May is a brilliant model and she is definitely one of my favourites! She has her stunningly unique look which makes her stand out from the crowd before you even see her walk. In all honesty Grace doesn't actually walk, she is ones of those models who is brilliant at what she does, so she either floats or struts depending on the story of the garment. She throws the appropriate emotion across the room, shows off the garment, tells the story and sells the clothes!
Not only is she brilliant on the runway she is amazing at photographic as well. The pictures Grace has sent me to use in this profile are stunning and captivating. I certainly enjoyed her interview so I know you will too!

GRACE MAY

   
Name: Grace May

Star Sign: Taurus

How did you first get into modelling?  
As the face of Gold Coast fashion week in 2009, oasis shopping centre, I was then contracted to division.

What has your favourite job been so far? 
It would be a close race between the most well known designer Ive worked with Alex Perry, and the little known gems, Begitta, Emma Milkins, Pavo Tails.. Those are the designers that make modelling exciting amongst the parades and luncheons and shows and shoots.


Who is your inspiration and why? 
I take my lessons and inspiration from the people around me, they are in my life for a reason they make it better!

Where do you see yourself in five years? 
I am currently juggling a journalism degree, events management and public relations jobs, presenting and modelling. If I had to choose just one it would probably be working as an editor of VOGUE NIPPON JAPAN. Otherwise I would ideally like to start my own PR/Events/Management company, and continue to freelance write and present. In lieu of that i wouldn't mind being the next female prime minister (I secretly love politics).

If you could go anywhere in the world where would you go and why? 
I have had a long term mad love affair with travelling. Of all the places I have been that i would love to return to... Calcutta in India, Santorini in the Greek Isles, of the places I have yet to go..
LA(I've watched far too much Entourage), New York(You can probably blame Sex And The City for that one) and Tokyo. I am currently planning a Tokyo adventure for the end of the year, possibly for work but mostly for play. So many amazing creations seem to emerge from Japan, I cant wait to explore the fashions and the markets, and the people- they always seem super friendly although that could just be that to them I am this giant red headed model monster.
Favourite book?
Everything Jane Austin.
The secret by Rhonda Byrne.
Magazines- I have the BIGGEST magazine collection you have ever seen (also the heaviest) I claim its research for my degree but nothing beats opening a magazine and being inspired. Grazia.Frankie. Russh. Vogue Nippon.

Favourite movie? 
Pride and Prejudice, I am a huuuuuge Jane Austin fan, I find solace in 19th century movies and books, I seem to be able to more easily relate to the characters from that generation, I'm an old soul. The kind of love that's depicted in old films and books rarely exists these days. 

What is your favourite type of exercise?  
I'm a surf life saver here on the coast in summer, and an absolute self confessed beach rat! There is so much incidental exercise that occurs when you are an outside person -especially when your at the beach!!! Get outside and explore! Climb Mount Warning, spend the day at Currumbin Rock Pools with friends swimming and jumping and exploring, the best kind of exercise is the kind you don't even realise your doing!!!



Three things you cant live without?
Love
My mum. She is my moral compass, my rock, my inspiration, she is the driving force in my life to DO and BE better. My friends. who love and support me no matter how hectic my life gets and how rarely I may see them. My Life. I live by the adage "LIVE WHAT YOU LOVE" I love what I do and the people that I work with, it makes all the difference in the world.

Laughter-
I laugh and smile all day every day, and I hope this to always be the case. I surround myself with people who make my life better. I learnt a long time ago that sometimes recognising that people are bad for you although difficult is the best thing you can do.

Challenges-
 The positive kind. I surround myself with people who challenge me creatively and intellectually and as a person. People who wont let me settle for anything less than my best self. I embrace study, as tedious as it might be I am well aware that there is so much left for me to learn, i will never be finished challenging myself.

What is your biggest indulgence?
Lisa Nichols."When you follow your bliss then you live in a constant space of joy. You open yourself to the abundance of the universe. You're excited to share your life with those you love, and your excitement and your passion your bliss becomes contagious."
-lazy days at the beach.
-Fashion TV
- Village Markets in Burleigh
-Undiscovered Designers
-Floral everything.
-Scented candles.
-Tutus.(I adore tulle)
-Ball gowns that I will probably never wear, but that I love to look at.
-Entourage and Gossip Girl marathons on rainy days.
-Adventures


 Your favourite designer label?
To Swim-White Sands.
To Play-Vintage finds and new designers.
Jewellery-headpieces- Samantha Willis Emma Milkins
To Party- Rachel Gilbert, Sass and Bide.
To one day be Married in- Alex Perry

  Any advice for the women of the world?
Wake up and pay attention. Women have more influence and possibilities available to them then ever before. We have the power to affect change, to be whom ever we choose without boundaries or limitations. You can be a model who is a surf life saver, and a journalist who has a burgeoning desire to one day get into politics.  You can be WHATEVER you want, or several marvellous things all at the same time. Make the decision to be proactive, and positive, surround yourself with proactive positive people and you will be amazed at what you will achieve.

Anything you want to add?
Stop trying to fit in when you were born to stand out. Your life is what you create it, so let this be where the magic begins!


 

2 comments:

  1. I have the please of knowing Grace and she is one of the most nicest and beautiful people i have ever met!

    ReplyDelete