Wednesday, December 1, 2010

MY CRUSH




I just finished watching the episode of SATC where Carrie develops a crush on the furniture designer Aidan. There was a subsequent conversation with Miranda while eating pink cup cakes, with Carrie smiling ear to ear in her crush state, about crushes. It really got me thinking about crushes and the amazing feelings and fantasies associated with them and how we can have crushes but may never have actually had a crush on the person we are dating or dated or even married. I have never had a crush that amounts to anything. I have had plenty of boyfriends but I never had a 'crush' on any of them. My first crush was an odd one... Casper the friendly ghost. Obviously not the animated ghost but the boy who appears at the end of the movie when he becomes human, Devon Sawa. He was on the cover of TV Hits and all the related magazines and I had them all! 



Then one I will embarrassingly skip over quickly *ahem... Taylor Hansen. I seemed to have a break for a while after him. Then when I was 16 I developed a huge crush on a bronzed, athletic built South African that I used to go running with. He was a bit older than me but I didn't care. He was handsome, fashionable, drove an awesome convertible and had a cute room mate. Wait? Yes he was gay. Damn! Eight long years later I developed a crush on a man at a Fashion Festival. I didn't even meet him. I was sitting in a gorgeous marquee at South Bank waiting for a fashion show to begin when he walked in late. I saw him and my heart fluttered. I immediately text my friend who was sitting in a different row to me 'I am in love! See the guy two rows in front!' and she almost instantly wrote back 'Yes!'. We instantly turned into 16 year olds. It was hard to concentrate on the fashion show after that. My oh my was he handsome and he had that X factor about him. You see extremely good looking people all the time but when they have that X Factor.... I guess that causes the crush. When the show finished I met my girlfriend outside the marquee and I waited nervously for a glimpse of him! I didn't see him. To me I had a crush but to my friend he was good looking. It's funny how some have the X factor to one person and not another. In our 16 year old state we nicknamed him Dimitri as he appeared Russian. Every now and then she will tease me and say 'how's Dimitri'. Damn. I don't know. This was in August. No such fluttering of the heart since then. It's funny that none of my crushes ever turned into anything. I guess it didn't help that Devon and Taylor live in America and did not know I exist or that my chiseled South African was gay or even that I never got to meet Dimitri. I think I need better luck with who I actually develop a crush on. But after writing this I am extremely interested to hear your crush stories. Did your crush ever amount to anything? Did you even marry your crush? Let me know by posting a comment below or email me at casey.lee.evans@gmail.com   

Stay fabulous!

CLE



No comments:

Post a Comment